FACT Family Network is Expanding into More Areas of Western Oregon
Formed in 2002, FACT Oregon has grown over the last decade to successfully empower Oregon families experiencing disability. As Oregon’s federally-designated parent training and information center, FACT Oregon uses a parent-to-parent model to provide training, individualized education plan [IEP] support, and supportive connections to promote the understanding that disability is a natural part of the human experience.
The FACT Family Network, FACT Oregon’s only regional program, has been serving the greater Portland area (Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington counties) since 2008. It provides peer-delivered support, information, resources, referral assistance, family-to-family networking, and training opportunities. In September 2014, FACT Oregon as awarded a contract through the Oregon Council on Developmental Disabilities to expand this success model into more regions:
- West Gorge: Hood River and Wasco counties
- Columbia and Coastal Communities: Columbia, Clatsop, Tillamook, and Lincoln counties
Emily Braman is FACT’s Family Network Coordinator for Columbia and Coastal Communities, and Diane Cervi is the Family Network Coordinator for the Portland Metro and West Gorge areas. You can reach either of them by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling FACT’s administrative office at (503) 786-6082 or 1 (888) 988-3228.
FACT Oregon invites parents, caregivers, agencies, and other community partners to contact the Family Network Coordinators with ideas on what supports and events are needed in your community. As well, FACT is seeking participants for its Family Network Parent Advisory Council, which will help identify ways to best support families throughout the region. An application for the Parent Advisory Council can be found here.
FACT’s services include the following:
- FACT PTI: provides information, training, resources, and support to parents whose children experience disability and/or special learning needs, and to youth entering into adulthood.
- FACT Family Network: provides peer-delivered support, information, resources, referral assistance, family-to-family networking, and training opportunities.
- The Family Advocacy Network: creates opportunities statewide for family leadership development, family empowerment to effect system change, education reform, policy decisions, and participation in advocacy and grassroots systems change movements.
- Parent2Parent: offers statewide, parent-to-parent connections for families experiencing disability, including specially trained mentors able to support families in preparation and planning for their child’s IEP.
- FACT Person-centered Planning: a pilot program that provides strength-based, person-centered plan facilitation to families, school districts, and other agencies.