FACT Oregon seeks Oregon residents interested in serving on its Board of Directors to champion our mission to empower Oregon families experiencing disability to pursue whole lives! We are looking for dynamic and passionate individuals who can help FACT Oregon build capacity to serve more families across the state. We are specifically interested in talking to individuals with any of the following experience, skill-sets or expertise:
- Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI) focus work
- Early Childhood Community (provider, agency, management)
- Medical Community (provider, agency, management)
- Parents of a child/youth experiencing disability
As an organization that is by families, for families, FACT Oregon maintains a majority presence of parents of youth with disabilities on our board.
We are committed to increasing diversity of our leadership to better reflect the families we serve (including historically underrepresented, geographically diverse, and otherwise marginalized communities).
Mission: To empower Oregon families experiencing disability by expanding awareness, growing community, and equipping families in their pursuit of a whole life.
Vision: Families have high expectations and a vision for the future where all communities are accessible, welcoming, and embrace that disability is natural.
Values: What drives our work
- Disability is natural
- The importance of high expectations
- Self-determination must be assured
- Whole lives happen when families experiencing disability engage with their communities
- Family involvement is critical throughout the life of a family member with a disability
- Equitable access for all and respect for cultural differences
Expectations of Board Members
- Commit to a three-year term with opportunity to renew
- Prepare for and attend monthly board meetings and occasional special meetings (in-person or remote participation)
- Participate on at least one committee or advisory group
- Actively support the organization’s fundraising efforts, including but not limited to: planning/participating in fundraising events, cultivating new donors and/or sponsors, and committing to personally invest in the mission at $1,000/more a year ($300 minimum in monetary contributions (the rest can be in-kind via event support and volunteer hours beyond board meetings)
- Help recruit new board members and professionally represent FACT Oregon to the public
- Maintain professional conduct, including preserving confidentiality of business matters discussed in board and committee meetings
Questions? Email [email protected].
ABOUT FACT Oregon:
FACT Oregon works to empower families of youth experiencing disability by expanding disability awareness, growing community, and equipping families in their pursuit of whole lives. Parent-led, we recognize the complexity of issues that families experiencing disability face. Guided by principles of high expectations, self-determination, equitable access, family empowerment, respecting differences, and the belief that disability is natural, we offer peer-delivered support to families that is genuine, empathetic, and educational. We encourage families to hold high expectations and share proven tools to help them vision and plan for the future.
FACT Oregon has served as Oregon’s Parent Training & Information Center (PTI) since 2012-13. We lead Regional Learning Summits and other trainings around the state and provide peer-to-peer support to help families navigate special education, service systems, person-centered planning, assistive technology, behavior support, and transition to adulthood. We host and partner on community-building initiatives such as the All Ability Tri4Youth (a barrier-free triathlon), family-friendly events, and disability awareness programs.
FACT Oregon is a go-to resource for families, with high satisfaction ratings and referrals to our trainings and peer-to-peer support. 98% of attendees find our trainings helpful and high quality; 93% of families rate our peer support service as timely, useful, and uniquely relevant to their concern or question; and 91% of families report increased confidence and knowledge. FACT Oregon is sought out for its expertise by professionals and community partners in the arenas of disability, education, early childhood, medicine, and family advocacy.